New Construction Inspection in Richland & Lexington Counties of SC
Understanding Residential Construction in SC is a vital importance in the success of knowing how to inspect a Newly constructed Residential Home. Our job as a Home Inspector is to provide a Home Inspection to provide you with the imformation that a residential builder does not want you to know. They hope that you will not hire a home inspector. To make matters worse, they set certain guidelines that try to make it very difficult for you to hire just any inspector. Most of the Residential Builders in SC require a Nationally certified inspector that belongs to a national organization (i.e. NACHI, InterNACHI, NACHI, SCAHI). In addition that they carry a minimum of $1,000,000 liability insurance coverage. Our company strives to meet these requirements to provide the level of service you need in these areas.
Do not trust a builder to be up front and tell you everything he knows is wrong with the home. Most builders in SC hire Supervisors to watch their projects but not actually ever look a home over, especially large outfits. Personal one home builders are sometimes better in quality but lack in speed. Good with the bad.
Some of the things I would recommend when hiring a builder.
1. Make sure you have a copy of their license.
2. Check your local BBB and or the home builders association for complaints on that builder.
3. Check to see if the builder has any leans on him/her or their company.
4. Make sure they have a solid bank supporting the construction of the project.
5. Make sure the builder provides a surety bond covering your legal address of construction. Some builders will show you a blanket coverage. Make sure you check with that insurer for your coverage.
6. Get a list of referrences.
7. Check with SC LLR for any complaints filed and a verification of their active license.
8. If he or she is building on your land, make sure the permit is pulled in his name and not your own. This is a key sign of a no-licensed builder.
If you want more info, call me. 803-445-4411